Upcycle Sunday: Sewing Machine Cover

Happy Sunday, guys and dolls, lads and ladies, blokes and betties. I hope your Valentine’s Day, or Lunar New Year, or whatever today means to you, is going well. Here in San Francisco the sun was shining through my window and the weather was nice enough to not have to wear a sweater indoors. Perfect for a day of sewing and blasting iTunes while simultaneously having a solo dance party or kareoke fest every hour or so. I have way too much fun by myself.

Moving along! One of the ongoing projects is vamping up or apartment. Within the next month or so I volunteered to take on the intimidating task of making a slip cover for our couch… so in efforts of preparing for that monster project, today I’ve decided to do a smaller scaled slip cover of sorts, for my sewing machine.

So, I don’t know about you guys, but my old plastic Singer sewing machine cover has been through a lot. It’s been stepped on, torn on accident, and squished and forgotten about in random boxes in the abyss that is my closet. My machine has been getting really dusty, so I decided to be proactive and do something about it. No more dust!

Cut your old sewing machine cover along the two outside seams. As I mentioned, my old cover was REALLY wrinkled. So, in efforts of making this tutorial more camera-friendly I needed to iron the old cover. Also, it helps with accuracy. Anyway, because of the whole plastic/heat issue, I placed a pillow case over it while ironing to prevent a minor catastrophe.

Lay the old cover over the fabric of your choice. I’m using leftover fabric from an apron project. Pin and leave 5/8″ for seam allowance.

Fold in half and pin up the sides, sew, and then trim seam allowance with pinking shears (or scissors).

Additionally, if you’re a narcissist like me, you can add your label to the cover when sewing up the sides to make it look official, and may I add, badass.

Next, bring two top side openings together, pin and sew. Be sure to iron the seams.

After ironing, pin the bottom hem 1/4″, sew, press. Fold up 1/4″ again. Pin, sew, press.

Lastly, I’m gonna keep it real and let you know that beneath this crocheted bouquet lies an iron-on applique mess. I’m not sure what happened, but I decided that the perfect remedy for this problem would be my fave: yellow and green flowers. And, voila! New, pretty cover for my beloved sewing machine. Have a great week everyone!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

3 Comments

  1. cathy
    Posted February 15, 2010 at 12:28 am | Permalink

    your signature knitted flowahs.

    [Reply]

    tatiana Reply:

    Yeow yeow.

    [Reply]

  2. Posted February 16, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

    Pretty!!

    [Reply]

  3. Posted March 1, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

    CUTE!!! Those labels ARE badass… hmmm… what can I label…

    scooter… SCOOTER COME BACK!! :)

    [Reply]

    tatiana Reply:

    haha, poor Scoot! :P

    [Reply]

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

*
*